TysonAdams

Tyson Adams Reviews

Book lover and science nerd. See more from me at http://tysonadams.com

Kill or Be Killed, Vol. 3
James S.A. Corey
The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work. Alain de Botton
Alain de Botton
Deadpool by Joe Kelly Omnibus
Shannon Denton, James Felder, Ed McGuinness, Joe Kelly, Aaron Lopresti, Bernard Chang, Stan Lee, Pete Woods
Solomon Creed
Simon Toyne

Finders Keepers

Finders Keepers - Stephen King Enter a world where people obsess over books that aren't Harry Potter.

Peter Saubers' family is having a tough time of it. The GFC has hit hard, his dad was hit hard with a car, and the arky-barkies might tear the family apart. Then he stumbles upon a literal treasure chest: stolen money and notebooks from the late John Rothstein - a reclusive author in the mould of JD Salinger. Of course, the man who killed for those notebooks, Morris Bellamy, has a wee fixation on Rothstein and his character Jimmy Gold, so not even a life sentence will stop him coming for Peter Saubers and his treasure.

I'll be honest, I was going to give up on this book. If it hadn't been Stephen King I probably would have. This is the second novel in the Bill Hodges trilogy, and Bill doesn't show up until a third to half-way through the novel. That is part of what makes this novel frustrating. It takes a long time to set things up and get the plot moving, with that first third or more acting as backstory that you're not quite sure has a point to it.

But the final third of the novel redeems this ignoble start in a taut and suspenseful manner. Definitely not one of King's better works, but if you can get past the waffly backstory, this is an okay read.